6.13.2006

Place of Stillness

Right now it is my favorite time of day, dusk. I can remember loving dusk even when I was a child. One of my favorite feeling memories from childhood was taking a walk after dinner at my Grandma's house when it was dusk. There is something about it that shifts things for me, somehow it leads me to a place of stillness and I experience a sense of true calm. This night in particular is one of my favorite kinds of dusks, the sky is overcast like it could rain but it won't, and the air is cool, but soft and warm at the same time, and every once in while there is a slight breeze but mostly it is still. It is like everything around me the trees, the plants, the birds, the people, everything is taking a deep relaxing breath after one of those long and tiring days. Like one of those days when it feels so good just to sit down and be done with the day.

I feel as though I have reached one of many dusks in my life recently. I have finally come to a place of resolve regarding one my family relationships. Without going into a long description, it has been a long and painful journey from me to get to this place. A place where I can take a deep breath and be happy that I have found what I was looking for, and though my journey may not be over, I have reached my place of contentment and if feels really nice. I can tell you for sure that during my journey I could not imagine getting to this place, or for that matter that a place like this existed. Just like during one of those days when life just seems crazy and then you get to the end of the day and you sit down and realize it is over and you can breath, just like dusk. This reminds my of one of my favorite quotes...

I beg you...to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. don't search for the answers, which could not be given you now, because you would not be able to live them. and the point is, to live everything. live the questions now. perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without ever noticing it, live your way into the answer ...
-rainer maria rilke

5 comments:

GoGo said...

nice.

Unknown said...

very nice. and thank you for the quote. I miss you too.

Anonymous said...

I know that dusk, and I love it too. I feel connected to you with your blog, even though I am so far away. Good job.

daringtowrite said...

I, too, love a dusk just like this. Thanks for sharing it.

GoGo said...

Ode to Stillness:

Stuck between the shadows and dawn,
she waits lurking under the canpoy of sky not yet full of stars, nor of darkness.

~To be totally honest, we friends have made more jokes about still being in stillness, its lost its funny.

Send us something already.